if (end == -1) Expressing Wishes (ENGLISH GRAMMAR)

Friday, September 19, 2014

Expressing Wishes (ENGLISH GRAMMAR)

Expressing Wishes (I wish…, If only…, It’s time…)
hamd naat In urdu Written by tariq

A. I wish…. :
The verb « wish » is followed by the following verb patterns to refer to different situations :
1. Present Wish : Subject + wish + subject (another / same) + past simple / past continuous :
We use wish + past simple / past continuous to express regret about a present situation by imagining its opposite.
Examples : I wish I had a car. (But I haven’t got one).
I wish I knew the list of the English irregular verbs.
I wish you were coming on holiday with us.
Note : The past simple refers to the present. As in the if-conditional type two, were is often used instead of was.
Example : I wish I were on holiday now.
2. Past Wish : Subject + wish + subject (another / same) + past perfect (had + past participle of the verb) :
We use wish + the past perfect to express a regret about something in the past.
Examples : I wish I had not eaten so much.
They wish they had followed their friend’s advice.
3. Future Wish : Subject + wish+ subject (another / same) + would + verb stem (infinitive without « to ») :
We use wish + would to express a desire for change in the near future, especially when someone or something is annoying us.
Examples : I wish the dog would stop barking. It’s getting on my nerves.
I wish you would drive more carefully. I’m frightened of having an accident.
Note : A wish about ourselves can’t be expressed with would. We must use « could » instead.
Example : I wish I could lose weight.
B. If only ….. : We can use if only instead of wish to express a stronger feeling of regret or a stronger wish.
Examples : * If only I had listened to my mother’s advice.
* If only I could lose weight.
C. It’s time…… :
1. It’s time someone + present simple= It’s the right time for someone to do soemthing : When you say It’s time (for someone) to do something, it means that it’s the right time to do it.
Example : It’s time we go to the station (= it’s the right time for us to go to the station)
2. It’s time someone+ past simple = it’ s late to do this action : When you say It’s time someone did something, you’re in fact thinking that this action should have been performed earlier and you are complaining about the delay.
Examples : * Why are you still in bed ? It’s time you got up.
* We think it’s time the government did something about corruption.
3. It’s high / about time someone + past simple= to make the complaint or criticism stronger : When you want to make the complaint or criticism stronger, you say it’s high / about time someone did something.
Example : It’s high / about time Hassiba did some work for her final exam.
 you may like it

dialog vs dialogue about work

Author views 

I Am Trying My Best to Give You Best Books
If You Need Any Book You Can Request On This Post I Will Provide You

I Hope You Like Please Give Your Feedback

If You Like My Collection Please Reply In This Post

No comments:

Post a Comment