if (end == -1) CONFUSING WORDS IN ENGLISH: TRAVEL, TRIP, VACATION, JOURNEY

Monday, February 21, 2022

CONFUSING WORDS IN ENGLISH: TRAVEL, TRIP, VACATION, JOURNEY

 Some words can be confusing in English. Below you will find the different meanings of travel, trip, vacation and journey in English.

Trip
(Noun) Act of going someplace and returning. 
1- I went on a trip to Jamaica.
2- I am going on a trip with my family.
3- We are planning a trip to Italy.
4- I can’t wait for our trip to Las Vegas. It will be so much fun!

Travel
(Noun) Action of travelling (usually to a different country)
(Verb) Going on a journey for a long time or to a different country. 
1- Next year I want to travel to Japan.
2- Peter travels to many different countries on business.
3- My husband travelled to Spain last month.
4- I travel once a year to Germany to visit my aunt.

Vacation*
(Noun) an extended time to relax or for recreation spent away from your home
(Verb) take a vacation
1- I am going on vacation next week.
2- We had to cancel our vacation because of the hurricane.
3- They went on vacation for a month.
4- I am so stressed. I need a vacation.

*Holiday is commonly used in British English instead of vacation. 

Journey
(Noun) act of travelling from one place to another for a long time
(Verb) travel somewhere (*not commonly used)
1- My sister when on a long journey. 
2- The pioneers journeyed west in search of gold. 
3- They journeyed across the ocean in their ship. 
4- The journey lasted four long months. 

 You should now have a clearer understanding of how to use trip, travel, vacation and journey when speaking English. 

No comments:

Post a Comment